Friday, March 12, 2010

Polenta Needs Help

Tonight we didn't have much time for dinner between soccer and life group so I just through together some Jennie-O Lean Turkey sausage with some polenta and vegetable medley (including asparagus, yellow squash, green bell pepper and white onion.) Vegetables are generally good and these turned out well. The turkey I seasoned with some Annie's Gluten Free Ketchup and Chicago Steak Seasoning (helps the kids eat it). That turned out fine. Zeke ate most of it. Polenta. I need a new paragraph.
Let me start out by saying I have had good polenta. Tavern at the Park in Chicago serves a Lamb Shank on a corn polenta portion that is the size of a small pizza. That was delicious. The trick was, the lamb was saturating the polenta, thus adding flavor. Unfortunately this was a hindsight observation for me today. I used corn polenta from a package that was heat and eat ready so with the help of a little spray butter and my trusty sautee pan, I did just that. I should have just poured corn meal straight in my mouth. Boo! This new foray was a floundering failure. Next time, juicing it up. I should have known when they said to treat it like tofu or pasta noodles that it was going to need help. Oh well. Lesson learned. But it least it was all gluten free!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Chris,
    Y'all are troopers!!! Aunt Betty sent me the link to your blog. Major menu changes are hard work, but WOW... y'all are doing so well! There are just so many gluten-free recipes out there (books/internet), it will just take some time to find the best ones and tweak them for your family's tastes. James 1: 2-8!!! We are and have been praying for you all.
    Blessings,
    Michelle Anglin Painter

    ReplyDelete